Live or retire in Mexico

Live in Mexico legally

Ready to make Mexico your home? Whether you're a young couple envisioning a new start, captivated by the breathtaking views of Cancun, Playa del Carmen, or Tulum, or a retired couple seeking a serene and hassle-free life, these coveted destinations often top the list for those aiming to work or retire in Mexico.

If you're feeling the urge to pack your bags and embark on this journey, the good news is—it's simpler than you might imagine!

Lorad's expert immigration lawyers have assisted numerous US and Canadian citizens in obtaining various visas tailored to their needs. Be it a work visa, setting up a business, hiring foreign workers, purchasing real estate, or retiring in Mexico, our bilingual legal attorneys ensure seamless navigation through any process.

Considering a move to Mexico? Learn how to secure legal residency.

Enter Mexico with the right visa

Mexico's immigration law strictly limits tourists with visas to a maximum stay of 180 days. Yet, for numerous foreign citizens, this duration proves insufficient. Notably, this visa category lacks the option for extension or renewal, mandating departure before the passport's expiration date.

Overstaying may result in fines upon departure. Fortunately, Mexico offers various visa types, and our adept legal team stands ready to assist in securing the suitable visa for your needs.

Types of visas to stay in Mexico

The Mexican embassy offers various visa types catering to foreigners or prospective tourists:

  • Visitor visa without conducting gainful activities: This visa encompasses tourism, medical treatment, business meetings, transit, etc.
  • Visitor visa with permission to conduct gainful activities
  • Visitor visa for adoption proceedings
  • Visa for temporary residency
  • Visa for temporary student residency
  • Visa for permanent residency

These visas are administered either by the Instituto Nacional de Inmigración (INM), also referred to as the National Migration Institute, or consular representations. They are broadly classified into two categories: non-immigrant permits and immigrant permits. The primary distinction lies in whether you aim to stay temporarily (e.g., for tourism) or for the long term, intending to become a resident.

Once you identify the visa suitable for your needs, it’s time to seek expert advice. Our immigration attorneys stand ready to assist in securing the right visa for you, facilitating the application process.

Visa requirements to live in Mexico

If you're considering living in Mexico legally, you have two main options for obtaining residency: a temporary resident visa or a permanent resident visa.

Temporary Resident Visa

This visa is designed for foreigners intending to stay in Mexico for longer than the 180 days allowed for regular tourists, but less than 4 years.

General Requirements for a Temporary Resident Visa (though these may vary by country):

  • Visa application form
  • Valid passport (with at least 6 months validity from your intended entry date into Mexico)
  • Recent photograph (not older than 30 days)
  • Proof of legal residence
  • Consultar interview
  • Personalized letter addressed to the Mexican consulate, detailing the purpose, intended date of entry, and itinerary
  • Payment of visa fees (if and when your visa is approved)

Additionally, you'll need to meet one of the following conditions:

  • Proof of financial means to sustain your stay
  • Evidence of investments or bank statements showing an average balance as mandated by law (that may vary) in the last year (12 months)
  • For retirees or employed individuals, proof of a consistent monthly income as mandated by law (that may vary) or at least the specified amount in the last 6 months is required.
  • If you own property in Mexico exceeding a certain value mandated by law (that may vary), documents verifying ownership are necessary.
  • Investors in a Mexican company should provide relevant documents proving investment equivalent to a specified amount mandated by law (that may vary) or demonstrating business/economic activities in Mexico, such as contacts, service orders, or invoices.

Once your documents are reviewed and all requisites met, the embassy will grant a single-entry visa. Subsequently, approved visa holders must visit the National Immigration Institute within the initial 30 days to convert the visa into a temporary resident card.

Permanent Resident Visa

For those seeking indefinite stay in Mexico, a permanent resident visa is available under certain conditions:

  • Pensioners
  • Individuals with family ties to a Mexican citizen or a legal permanent resident (specifically as the mother/father of a Mexican-born child).

The general requirements for this permanent visa resemble those for a temporary visit, with proof of financial means being the primary differentiator.

Pensioners or retired individuals must meet similar financial conditions as required for temporary residence, albeit with variations in economic thresholds.

Additionally, for family unity cases, applicants must demonstrate sufficient financial stability to support the family member.

Feeling ready to call Mexico home? Don't delay any further! Contact Lorad’s immigration lawyers now and set your Mexican plans in motion. 

Frequently Answered Questions

Definitively! The company will have to comply with some requirements, but they will offer you a visa and all social benefits.